Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Venting risers before top floor radiator?

Options
We are working to balance our single-pipe steam 6 story coop. We discovered that many of the risers don't have any vents on them. Often the riser simply ends as it goes into the top-floor radiator (see first picture). The riser doesn't extend up past the radiator. The problem is often people have these radiators off because they like it colder. Others have removed the radiators all together therefore there is no venting. My question is how we can vent these risers BEFORE the radiator. Often space is tight. Drill the pipe before and add a 1/8" radiator-type vent? Attach a T and a straight valve? What is done typically?

second question: In the instances where the riser does rise into the 6th floor, it is often already outfitted with a 1/8" angle radiator-type valve (see 2nd picture). Are any of these 1/8" angle vents fast enough to vent a 2-inch riser that goes up 6 floors?

Thanks all, I'm working on this with our super because it seems all the good steam contractors are busy with post-sandy work... can't find a single person in NYC... luckily these forums are so helpful!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    riser vents

it's not ideal, however as a start, you could put gorton d's on those risers.--nbc
  • Travis_F
    Travis_F Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Gorton Ds or the heat timer variable?

Thanks NBC...

What do you think of the heat timer variable vents? They seem to vent fast based on the specs... any experience with them?

They'd be fine on the risers that are all ready drilled to accept the 1/8" angle vent, but what about the risers that go straight into the radiator? Even if we drill those at the base near the floor, radiator vents might not fit because the valve sticks out, not allowing the vent to screw in... Perhaps it could be installed on the floor below near the ceiling?

I'm just sure they're a better solution that will allow us to use a straight vent with bigger capacity...
This discussion has been closed.