Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

looking to heat an in-law apartment

dcouture29
dcouture29 Member Posts: 3
I'm building an in law above my garage 24x28. It'll be mostly used in the summer but will be used on an occasional weekend during winter.

I've been looking around for a source of heat that can accomodate my needs. I'm looking at everything except oil.

Preferably, I'd like something that could keep the place at 45-50 degrees during the time it's not in use, so I'd like something that I could set a thermostat low. I think propane might be my best option but don't really know what to buy. Looking for any advice.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Where are you?

We need to know the climate to make valid suggestions.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Mini Split

Fujitsu Mini with a heat pump.

www.fujitsugeneral.com
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    wall furnace

I posted a question a couple of wks ago about wall heaters,  they run $400.00- $700.00  you can get them in the 24mbh size. You will need to run a gas line and an oval flue inside wall,  really not that hard to install if your mechanicaly inclined.  Check out the Cozy heater web site.
    RJ
  • dcouture29
    Maine

On the coast.
  • dcouture29
    Maine

On the coast.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    I like the Mini

Chris maybe on to something, if its summer use mostly then the AC from the mini split will be welcomed and needed (2nd floor in humid area), and the heat from it should take care of the load, depending on heat loss.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
This discussion has been closed.