Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reworking FHW Upstairs

cfspartan
cfspartan Member Posts: 1
I'm going to be doing a lot of renovation work in the upstairs of my 1850's colonial. I live in New Hampshire, very cold winters.

Currently, we have gigantic cast iron radiators in two of our three main upstairs bedrooms. We have a schoolhouse style radiator in the bathroom and sun room, and no heat source in another bedroom.

Our boiler is a Peerless ECT-05 tested 82% efficiency (oil).

Right now, the entire upstairs is on a single zone. The problem is three fold:

1. Hot water circulates from the boiler to the Master Bedroom -> back to basement -> up to bathroom -> back to basement -> up to second bedroom -> back to basement -> up to closet-ish room (end loop)

2. The radiators are HUGE. 4-5 feet tall - lovely and ornate, but simply too large to be practical. The valves are corroded - no leaks, but just a matter of time. The hardwood floors under each have been replaced and could use to be done so again.

3. My 4 year old's bedroom has no heat source.

I have been told by my dad that baseboard is the way to go, but have read here and several other sources that radiators are better for comfortable rooms (important for little kids sleeping arrangements).

I plan on replacing the radiators but would like to know:

1. Baseboard vs. Radiator

2. If radiator - too many options and prices vary wildly - insights more than welcomed

3. How much of a pain will it be to make the upstairs in a continuous loop instead of moving up and down two stories with each stop on the loop.

4. If I go with panel or radiator replacement, should they be on a loop or all on a home run?

I know this is a lot but I've been really impressed with the discussions on here and wanted to give as much info/questions as possible to round out my situation.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Old converted gravity system

I can only speak as the owner of a 1890's gravity system, with original coal boiler (converted to gas). The longevity of these systems is truly amazing. The water inside your system has no oxygen left in it to cause any rusting, and I would expect another 50 years from those radiators.

As for the valves being corroded, they are most likely made of brass, and also immune to rust. If they were in a salt laden atmosphere, then there could be problems but surely not in your house. Why not post some pictures of the valves, as there may be a small leak, which can easily be corrected. They are probably of better quality than today's replacements.

Now for what to do for general improvement, You could add a radiator to the unheated room, which would not have to be so large, and you could install a mod-con boiler, with outdoor reset. This would vary the temperatures of the water in the system to suit the outside temperature, and would give more mileage from your heating oil. They do require more regular, and skilled maintenance than your old peerless, so the availability of a skilled serviceman in your area is important.

Those giant radiators are really an architectural feature of your wonderful old home, and I think they would be missed if removed, and replaced with baseboard. Just looking at them warms the soul, as well as the body!--NBC
This discussion has been closed.