Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell Aquastat L8148E - Switching Relay

A few weeks ago we woke up to a cold house (~52F).  I went down to the basement and noticed that the boiler would not fire, but the pump was on.  Called the local heating guy and he came out to diagnose.  He jumped the thermostat and then checked voltages all over the L8148E Aquastat and found that the switching relay was not working properly.  He got it to work and was on his way.

Tonight I noticed the same issue, so I went and with the power open I jiggled a scrap of sandpaper between the contacts on the switching relay.  Power on and boiler fired.

Does anyone know if the switching relay is replacable or should I just replace the whole aquastat?

Comments

• ChadZeilenga
    ChadZeilenga Member Posts: 12
    AquaSmart???

Another question I have after some additional research on the web is how difficult is it to replace the Honeywell 8148E with the Beckett Aquasmart.  I'm a DIY guy with moderate skills, but no expert on heating systems.  From what I see the transfer is pretty straight forward. 

I have a 100yr old house @ 2000 sq ft.  It originally had a gravity steam system installed and then was later converted to a forced system.  I'm not sure how many loops I have.  I have a 15yr old Carrier 112k BTU unit in the basement with a flue damper installed. 

I see that Beckett has a wireless ODR that integrates with the AquaSmart, anyone used this before?
  • todd_ecr
    todd_ecr Member Posts: 91
    8148E

Yes the Beckett Aquasmart will work in place of the L8148E, however be sure that there are provisions for attaching the vent damper harness. I had a guy call call last week who said there was no such provision on the aquasmart. He called Beckett and they were going to send him a harness.

Hydrolevel also makes The FuelSmart Hydrostat 3200 to replace the L8148E.

If you have any other questions on your boiler feel free to call me at 1-800-325-5479
  • Tim Potter
    Tim Potter Member Posts: 273
    Aquasmart

I did the failing Honeywell to Aquasmart conversion.

There is some trickiness in wiring the propitiatory vent damper harness into the aquasmart, but it can be done. It works great

Tim
    Winter Park, CO & Arvada, CO
    Gannon
  • ChadZeilenga
    ChadZeilenga Member Posts: 12
    Installed

I received the AquaSmart last Wednesday and had a sucessful one night installation.  Went well, just needed to get a wiring harness for my flue damper.  Beckett is sending one free of charge. 

I have the unit with the Heat Manager On so that it uses the algorithim and rate for the house to reach temperature to regulate the limits on the unit.  So far it has been working great.
  • JoeyG412
    JoeyG412 Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get the parts?

I am having the same problem with my L8148E and I was wondering where you were able to by the aquasmart or hydrostat 3200? And I was wondering if it should be the aquasmart model 7600B?
This discussion has been closed.