Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Air Handler?

Options
On a call today  with another tech  and the house had a split system, Steam  raditors in one part and a steam air handler in the other.  I know on a HW air handler ther is a aqua stat  for the blower, this  steam air handler has a  Detroit Pressure switch,, not a P 404 A,  The other tech has the model # It may be 90? Anyway I assume   this contraoll will make on temp rise and not break like a 404A Press Troll..  What is made today to replace this old Detroit switch?  The blower work  with the  fan on constant just not off    the press troll. I m not sure what you call this type of pressure troll. In 30 years of servic Ive never seen one :)

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Post some pictures if possible

Is the old pressure switch not working? There should be a pigtail under it to keep the mechanism clean, and it needs regular cleaning. There are modern pressuretrols with both make and cut off contacts on board, but I do not have the model numbers handy.

Make sure the steam system itself is functioning properly below 2 psi MAX, unless the coil has information to the contrary.

And a picture is worth a thousand words.--NBC
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    fan switch

I wonder if you could use an aquastat strapped to the piping as a fan switch-you just need a make on rise to bring the fan on only when the coil is hot, right?
  • Richard D._2
    Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies,  The steam system is working fine, Raditors get hot,air handler coil gets hot, put the fan on   constant  fan heat is fine, Press troll is set at 1/2lb, a manual lift  if the press  switch lever engages the blower,  The Detroit Press troll  is the type with a short fat base befoe the controll, Im assuming a click  type   action,,    Will check the   pipe to the press troll,, No pig tail but will add 1,  And I to was thinking of a strap on aqua stat  H/W 6006C, but I  would like to find out the  way it works  like when new  :)

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.