Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wheezing Weil Mclain

Hi folks

I seem to recall a tread on the topic of a wheezing boiler. I have a customer complaining of a wheezing sound coming from his boiler while the burner is on and for a short period after if shuts off. I've visited and did hear it. it is coming from the boiler and telegraphing through the piping. Its not a constant wheeze but repeated and regularly during the run cycle and continuing for a short time (maybe 30 seconds) after the burner shuts off.

This is a water boiler with an indirect and one heating zone. Is there a solution to this?

thanks for taking the time to read and contemplate.

Peace

Matthew

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    if it's

a slight whistle sound also, I would remove the top, and look for leaks where the "O" ring is between the sections. Many times you would never know it is leaking
  • Matthew Grallert
    Matthew Grallert Member Posts: 109
    wheezing Weil Mclain

thanks for the reply billwocase. That occurred to me as I've heard the sound before but in boilers maintaining a temp with a tankless. Although a few years ago the Mr. had a cracked radiator which was solved with a boiler seal liquid. Ill have to look for a leak at a gasket. Thanks again

M
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I would say

change the extrol tank. If there is sealer in it, or was at one time, it will be a problem like this
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    sediment

You have sediment in the bottom of the heat exchanger. When the burner is on it boils the water between the sediment and the cast iron bottom of the heat exchanger. Increase the wate pressure up to 25 PSI and see if it goes away. ( not the solution - only a means of diagnosis)
  • Matthew Grallert
    Matthew Grallert Member Posts: 109
    wheezing Weil Mclain

I'm leaning towards crud in the boiler. I've replace the ex tank and checked it's pressure.

I'm also leaning towards the possibility that the house was built on an Indian burial ground do to some other very odd occurrences.

M
This discussion has been closed.