Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HOW TO GET A WEIL-MCLAIN GAS STEAMER BOILER TO TURN ON AND STAY ON

KUEI
KUEI Member Posts: 4
I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE EXPERIENCED WITH A WEIL-MCLAIN GAS STEAMER BOILER LGB-7 SERIES 2 TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS:

1.  I CAN NOT TURN ON THE FURNACE UNLESS I GENTLY HIT THE LOW WATER CUT-OFF  PART.

2. ONCE THE TEMPERATURE IS REACHED, THE FURNACE SHUTS OFF, BUT IT WILL NOT ALWAYS TURN ON AGAIN  EVEN WITH A SIGNIFICANT TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL, AS MUCH AS 15 DEG F.   THE BOILER CAN ONLY BE RESTARTED BY HITTING AGAIN, THE LOW-WATER CUT-OFF.  THIS HAPPENED ONLY AFTER THE LOW-WATER CUT OFF WAS CLEANED BY HOT WATER PRESSURE.

3. THE LOW-WATER CUT-OFF HAS BEEN CLEANED LAST MAY BY HOT WATER PRESSURE, APPLIED THROUGH THE TOP OF THE LOW-WATER CUT OFF, AND SOON AFTER THAT WAS DONE, THE SERVICE MAN WAS UNABLE TO START THE BOILER, AND HE DRAINED THE WATER COMPLETELY, AND ADDED WATER BIT BY BIT UNTIL THE BOILER TURNED ON.

4.  COULD YOU EXPERTS KINDLY TELL US WHAT IS THE DIAGNOSIS, AND WHAT IS THE REMEDY?  WE NEED SERVICE!!

THANK YOU.

SINCERELY,

KHY

Comments

• It sounds like

the signal to turn on the boiler is not getting through, getting stopped at the low water cutoff or possibly at some other connection. 

You need to find someone that is handy with an electrical meter and also knows steam heat.  Tell us where you live and there might be one of us in your neighborhood that can help out.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited January 2013
    Boiler

Edit
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Faulty safeties

Probabaly your LWCO has a problem, and is not responding to a full water situation without a tap from your hammer. If this is happening after the cleaning, then what does the tech say who has cleaned it?

Generally those LWCO' s are unscrewed and then cleaned. --NBC
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    manual reset

low water cut off tripping because automatic reset low water cut off defective. check another low water cutoff. Manual reset low water cut off just doing its job.
  • I think

he's in the basement, doing that HOT WATER PRESSURE thing.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • KUEI
    WHERE WE LIVE - WEIL MCLAIN BOILER TURN ON STAY ON DIFFICULTIES

Dear Mr. Forbes;

We live in NE New Jersey, in Essex County, South Orange Township, which is approximately 1/2 hour by highway from New York City, or Edison, NJ.

KH
  • KUEI
    Yes, the LWCO has been cleaned and another cleaning has been recommended

Dear Nicholas:

Yes, the LWCO has been cleaned by hot water pressure and another cleaning has been recommended by unscrewing and screwing several parts back (the first cleaning by hot water pressure seems to have caused the problem and the company that serviced us suggested a part needed replacement, so a part for this LWCO system has been purchased from local heating supply).  Do you live near us; would you like to service this boiler? We live in South Orange, NJ, 30 min driving from New York City, NY?

KH
  • KUEI
    Thank You

Dear Gennady:

Thanks for your input/suggestion.  Also, we live in South Orange Township, NJ if you are interested in servicing our Weil-McLain gas steamer boiler.

KH (Mrs./Dr.)
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Lwco problem

The float type of lwco are designed for repair, but can also be replaced. This safety device is very important, so I would advise replacement, rather than repair in this case. The high pressure water may have damaged the internal float mechanism, and therefore it may not be trustworthy.

Have you tried the find a contractor button at the top? Do a search by state, as the search by zip code appears to have been damaged also by high water pressure?

Take some pictures, or write down the information from the lwco (most likely McDonnell -Miller).--NBC
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Heat

I service your area, and would be available to help. I sent you a private email.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    RePair gone wrong

Sometimes things do not work out right in repairs, but surely this lwco cleaning should not have given such problems. This should be a simple disassembly, cleanining, and final testing. Maybe this is due to the "service contract" not allowing enough time from a very experienced, and competent tech to do the job. The end result could be the most junior of techs sent out to " fix it any way you can"--NBC
  • MasterPlvmber
    MasterPlvmber Member Posts: 7
    Questions

I only see one question in the original post.
This discussion has been closed.