Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham steam boiler-strange pattern

Options
Green
Green Member Posts: 16
Hello, Everyone! 

I put a post back in Nov 2012

<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/143676/New-Burnham-Steam-boiler-Help">http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/143676/New-Burnham-Steam-boiler-Help</a>

and since then the problem still hasn't resolved yet.  The first month of November and early December I drained all the water out of the boiler and it came out to be dark water and then put in new fresh water.  We have been doing this for 4-5 times.  Then late December the water came out much better, with a slightly light rusty water and small tiny black particles. 

However the boiler follows a strange pattern after the full drain, the first 3-4 days, the boiler was quiet and doing fine(first floor and second floor are getting heat for all rooms.  Third floor 's living room has heat and the bedrooms are getting little bit of heat) Then starting day 5 the water level in the glass gauge drops from 75% to 50%(it also bounces too.  Every floor gets heat and third floor bedrooms are getting heat too), then day 6 it drops to 25%(more bounces), then day 7 it drops to bottom of the glass gauge with tiny trace of water when it runs(every floor gets heat).    Somehow the water level in the glass gauge restores to its normal level when the boiler stops completely. 

Last night, I turned my presstrol gauge from 5PSI to 2PSI and the differ from 1.55 to 1.5PSI.  The third floor's living room(where the thermostat sits) was not getting heat for over 3 hours while the third floor bedrooms were getting lots of heat.  Therefore I turned off the boiler and changed the PSI to the prior setting.  However the third floor livingroom was not as hot(became the last radiator to receive heat) as it used to while third floor bedrooms were getting lots of heat.  I wonder how come it is not getting heat in the living room after restoring it to prior setting?  Sorry!  I write too much..Just too many things I can't explain.  Back in December I told the plumber that if the problem with the boiler been resolved then I will pay him the last hundred dollars in early Jan..Today he called for $ I told him that I am going to call another plumber to check out his work.  I really hope there is an explaination for it.  BTW, do I have to pay the new plumber if he can't solve the problem for my boiler ?  Any good plumber in my location.. Let me know.  Thank you!

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    **** Install:

I read your string on your problems of November, 2012. You live in Massachusetts.

Go to this Web Site:

http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/licensee/dpl-boards/pl/

This is the site for the State Board of Examiners of Plumbers. There is an area for :Checking on a Licensee; Put in the name of the "Plumber". If his name isn't there, he is not a licensed plumber in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. You do NOT need to be a licensed plumber to install a steam boiler, or any heating boiler. If you are Not a licensed plumber or gas fitter, you  may NOT connect the gas piping to the boiler NOR MAY YOU VENT COVERED APPLIANCE WITHOUT A GAS OR PLUMBING LICENSE. You can NOT make the water connections to the boiler. A licensed plumber can not allow a unlicensed person to vent the appliance for which he has taken out a permit for. The permit holder is responsible and can not transfer responsibility.

I can tell you for a fact, that whatever town in the Commonwealth, that flue connection is totally illegal.

And the permit MUST be applied and received BEFORE any work is started. If a licensed plumber in Massachusetts, starts a covered job before getting a permit, he could face action by The Board.

If you can find the boiler installation manual, there should be a special section on the Installation in Massachusetts and the special requirements. It covers CO detectors. He can't even fire off the boiler until hard wired CO detectors are installed. Battery ones can be used for a short temporary time. You are responsible for the installation, the permitee is responsible to make sure that it happens.

Call the Inspectional Services Department in your city or town and ask them to come and look at it. They should. If not, call the Board.

I'm not getting into the problems with the steam piping. That is not plumbing. But the water feed connection, the gas connection and the venting into the chimney and chimney flue connection comes under the jurisdiction of the Dept of Public Safety and the Board of Examiners. These issues have been deeply discussed in our Sessions 3, 4 and 5 of our continuing education classes we must take t keep our licenses.

As I said before, I'm not getting into the Steam problems. It's the "plumbing" issues. I cringe every time I see someone say that their "Plumber" said this or that. It makes myself and all the other fine craftsmen I know, look bad.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

Do you have any main vents?
  • Green
    Options
    Main vents

Yes, I do. I have checked the board before hiring him. A licensed plumber. He a friend's friend.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Main venting

Joe is referring to the main vents on the returns in the basement, without which the system will not function properly.

I suggest you start with 1. Gorton 2 for each dry return, and go from there.--NBC
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    blocked Wet Return

It sounds like there is also a blocked wet reurn due to the water line dropping and then slowly rising after the boiler shutting down.
  • Green
    Options
    ??

Earlier the plumber had suggested to replace the main vents on the returns in the basement with a new nipple and vent however the problem still has not resolved so we put the old vent back again.  what is Gorton 2 for each dry return?  Thank you for everyone's response.
  • Green
    Options
    blocked wet return, how to fix it?

Thanks Rob!  I will talk with the plumber about the blocked wet return. 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    talk to him about the new vents

and then put one on each dry return.

have him show you how to check the pressure, so it is below 2 psi [basic function], or 8 0unces, [economy, and comfort].

probably 5% to 10% of fuel is wasted with inadequate vents.

don't forget to insulate the pipes with fiberglass.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.