Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Nest Thermostat

Options
Sil
Sil Member Posts: 72
I know they are expensive, look great and it seems everyone who has one fawns over the fact that they are saving a bundle.

I assume alot of this is hype, but has anyone tried it out on steam and can anyone confirm that its worth the price?

<a href="http://www.nest.com/">http://www.nest.com/</a>

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    Nest

I too am curious about them and have even contacted Nest trying to get more information.  Apparently it does have a mode called "true radiant" which works for radiant heat as well as radiators.  If I had the money I would try one out just to see what happens.  They have a 30 day money back guarantee.

What concerns me is it doesn't necessarily seem any more intelligent than a Honeywell VP series yet costs double.

Another huge concern is when reading many reviews including ones on Amazon the talk of software glitches causing A\C and heat to run together, causing the blower to shut off but compressor to continue running and also not allowing heat to run.  Someone said their place was down into the 50s even though the Nest was set to something like 75F and they couldn't get it to allow their heat to run.

Like I said, I have ZERO experience with the Nest, only saying what kind of remarks I saw in reviews.  Just seems like a big concern if the thing refuses to turn your heat on especially if you're away for a week or two in the winter.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Thermostat

Sil what thermostat are you using now? Steam works best if you just leave it at one temp.

I've been using a Honeywell FocusPro 5000 for a few years now. Set to 1 cph and works fine. I've watched the Nest video. Who actually turns there tstat up and down like that? People with forced hot air. People claim to save a bundle using the Amish heater also and I don't believe that either.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    up and down

My VP8110 is set to drop down to 67F at 9pm and go up to 70F at 6:15AM.

Its been doing this for about a year now with minor flaws, mainly my complaint about it firing up the boiler at 8:55PM just to turn it off at 9PM before I even make steam.  :)

I doubt the Nest would solve that.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Sil
    Sil Member Posts: 72
    Options
    I am not home...

I forget if my old thermostat is a Honeywell or WeilMaclain... there is nothing wrong w my current thermostat, except I would love one that is hooked up to an iphone app.  As there are times we go away for the weekend or week and it would be nice to be able to turn the heat on remotely.

I was in my quest for a replacement when I saw Nest.
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Remote app

See this is one of the things I would like, to know if my house is the temperature it should be while I am away on vacation or whatever.  Obviously if I check and its 62F in the place but its set to 68F I have plenty of time to go home and see what evil is afoot.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Santa brought me an Ecobee

wi-fi thermostat for Christmas! Max had a GelaSkin skin made for it. The skin is a picture of him taking a picture, reflected in that stainless steel "bean" in Chicago.

Very simple to configure, click on their website and enter the serial number. I can monitor, data log and adjust from anywhere.

www.ecobee.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Ecobee

Whats that cost hot rod?
This discussion has been closed.