Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

push nipple for steam radiator

Options
Where can I buy 2'' push nipples for an old cast iron radiator? I went to install a radiator that someone in my family removed many many years ago and found out it leaked. When I took it apart, I found a rusted out push nipple where the leak was coming from.

Pics attached.

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Push Nipples for Radiators

Hi- Try Oneida County Boilerworks  Ph: 315-732-7914 They have a website:

http://www.onlineboiler.com/specialties.htm

You will probably need to send them one of your push nipples so that can match it up to what they have in stock.

- Rod
  • lakethoreau
    lakethoreau Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Push nipples for antique radiators

Are they (Oneida) still in business? I've been calling but no one answers the phone. The emails bounce back. Alternatively, can anyone point me towards another supplier?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Chance

Unless you are going to change them all, I wouldn't bother. If the radiator is very ornate, I'd consider it. Otherwise I'd get a replacement(used), and pressure test it before installing it.
  • lakethoreau
    Options
    push nipple for antique radiators

Yes, I lucked out and found a bunch of ornate old radiators for an incredible price; only one leaked. Need to replace the nipples as all three within are worn. I wouldn't mind buying extras to keep on hand.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Machine Shop

Any decent automotive machine shop should be able to make them if you can give them the dimensions or a few nipples in halfway decent shape. I know where you can get seamless steel tubing if you need it.

You should clean out the ports with a small cylinder hone and have the new nipples made a slightly oversize so you can get a good, tight fit. If you can't press the sections together as close as they were before, you can all ways have a little taken off.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • lakethoreau
    Options
    Push nipples for antique radiators

Hap_Hazzard,

Thank you!
  • lakethoreau
    Options
    Seamless steel tubing

Just in case, yes, please let me know where I can find some!
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Tubing

There's an outfit called Online Metals that has about any kind of metal stock you'll ever need. And guides to help you pick the right alloy for your application. Their prices are good, but the shipping is a little steep (no duh, they're shipping metal!) but when you need small quantities of something specific they might be your best bet.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • lakethoreau
    Options
    Tubing

Thanks for sharing, Hap_Hazzard!
This discussion has been closed.