Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main vent hissing when boiler is firing

Options
Oz
Oz Member Posts: 8
Is it normal for a main vent to hiss vigorously when the boiler cycles on? I recently had a main vent installed and, since then, I've noticed this hissing.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Pressure?

What pressure is the boiler operating at, it should be below 2 PSI. That vent is probably too small how long is the steam main and what diameter (or circumference) is the steam main?

The mains should all be pitched so any water can find its way back to the boiler return.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    If you can hear the air venting...

If you can hear the air venting you don't have enough vents.

If it is steam venting, you have a broken vent

Paul
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • Paul_11
    Paul_11 Member Posts: 210
    Options
    In the future

I noticed that you cut the overhead pipe and installed a tee to install that vent.

It is much easier to drill and tap the overhead.

Try it the next time.

Paul
    Since 1990, I have made steam systems quiet, comfortable, and efficient. We provide comfort while saving the planet.
    NYC RETROFIT ACCELERATOR QUALIFIED SERVICE PROVIDER

A REAL GOOD PLUMBER, INC
    NYC LMP: 1307
    O:212-505-1837
    M:917-939-0593
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    New vent

I don't know how long your pipes are, but surely you need a vent, or vents with floats to stop the water spewing out.Start with at least 1gorton 2, and watch the pressure during the steam escape phase. When the pressure is below 2 ounces, you know you have enough. Crank the pressure down, until the new vents are silent.--NBC
  • Oz
    Oz Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Pressuretrol set to

Cut-out 1-1/2 psi

Differential 1/2 psi

Looks like water level in gauge glass has also decreased since new main vent was installed and the vent hisses continuously until boiler cycles off, all of which make me think vent is spewing steam, not just air. Calling steam guy who did the work tomorrow.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Verifying the pressure

If the pigtail under the pressuretrol is plugged with debris, then the pressure can rise and not trip the control, so an accurate gauge, marked in ounces can verify that the pressure is matching the settings.--NBC
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Vent

That vent doesn't look brand new anyway. Was it just moved? It sounds like it IS failed open.
This discussion has been closed.