Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil combustion smell

Options
ed_17
ed_17 Member Posts: 13
I'm running strictly pellets this winter and only using the boiler for heating the indirect hot water heater and as a backup.  The basement is cooler but not too bad.  I've noticed that I'm getting more of a combustion smell from the burner than previous years.  The boiler and burner were tuned in October and flue has been swept and clean out T vacumed out.  Would the cooler air cause the combustion smell from the burner to be more noticeable or is the burner not getting enough of a burnoff from less use? 

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Combustion Smells

When you say you are using pellets, where is the pellet burner as related to the oil burner? Any chance that the pellet burner, when operating, is sucking some of its intake air from the oil burner? If so this, could be a very dangerous situation. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors in your house?

- Rod
  • ed_17
    ed_17 Member Posts: 13
    Options
    oil combustion smell

Oil burner in basement, pellet stove on first floor inserted into fireplace.  Two separate flues.  The smell is from the basement after the burner has fired to heat the indirect hot water tank.  The boiler is set at 160 degrees and the hot water tank is at 120.  Carbon monoxide detectors on all three floors.  There is a fresh air intake for the pellet stove and the oil burner.  The fresh air intake for the pellet stove is piped about five feet up passed the flue seal off plate.  The four inch exhuast stainless steel liner goes twenty five feet to the top of the chimney and terminates with a plate but has vents on the side for fresh air intake below.  No smell in room where pellets are burnt.  The smell is in the cellar after the burner has cycled on.  Would a colder flue from less boiler/burner use cause this smell? 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Make Up Air

You have two flues?

The oil burner flue is providing make up air for the pellet stove when it is being used. The make up air is back drafting through the oil burner.

The house is too tight and needs make up air for combustion.

Its as common as the hair on a dogs back.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,714
    Options
    Fresh air

When we had a pellet stove it had an optional fresh air intake kit.  If icesailor is right I recommend installing one if your stove / insert supports such a thing.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.