Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Now that the Point Of No Pressure Change

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
has been so elequently articulated, Wrap your minds around this article.

<a href="http://news.yahoo.com/atoms-reach-record-temperature-colder-absolute-zero-193405195.html">http://news.yahoo.com/atoms-reach-record-temperature-colder-absolute-zero-193405195.html</a>

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Harvey

Would you please, please explain this .

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Well......

I am definitely not qualified to explain this, but here is how I understand it.

For a long time it has always been thought that zero kelvin, or minus 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit was the absolute coldest temperature or the total absence of heat. Temperature was considered to follow linear line from zero kelvin to infinite heat. Energy from an object higher on the linear temp line always releases energy to an object lower on the linear temp line, until the objects reached equallibrium.

What they are doing now, Instead of considering temperature in a linear line they are looking at it as a loop with a positive side and a negative side. The positive side goes from zero kelvin to infinite, then turns negative and loops back around to zero kelvin. They are saying any object with a negative temperature, below zero kelvin or after infinite heat, will transfer it's energy to any object with a positive temperature. That would make it possible to create perpetual motion:-)

Who knows about these things? Our universe certainly has a lot of energy. Where do it come from? How do it get there?

Like I said; it is out of my league. Whenever I start to consider myself fairly smart; I begin to ponder on the infinite. That snaps me out of it and brings my feeble mind back to reality;-)

Cheers

Harvey
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    How many Kelvins?

It makes some sort of sense to me.

Because water is at its densest at 39 degrees F, it becomes lighter above and below that. In a sense, it is part of the basic circle of life. Everything in nature is a circle or cycle.

When the temperature cools, the water in a lake gets coldest at the top and colder in the bottom. When the water in the lake becomes 39 degrees, the water as it gets colder, stays on the top. Life lives in the bottom of the lake. When the top becomes 32 degrees, it may still be 39 degrees at the bottom. As the water at the top freezes, the water below the ice plate is 32 degrees. The plate can be zero at the top but a 24" ice plate will be 32 degrees at the bottom of the plate. If you shoot a infra red thermometer on the asphalt in the parking lot and it reads 15 degrees, shoot the ice and it will be 15 degrees. Drill a hole in the 24" plate and half way down the hole, the temperature may be 25 degrees. In the water, it is 32 degrees.

Its a circle. How many kelvins it takes is beyond me but it is a circular figure eight to me.
This discussion has been closed.