Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

combi

Options
bluemoon3
bluemoon3 Member Posts: 1
Hello Wall....long time since I've visited and was hoping for some experienced advice. Here in Sandy storm savaged long island I'm getting repeated requests for wall hung combination gas heat/dhw units. I've used some Baxi Luna units mainly because ther are available. The Dhw output is minimal with restricted pressure. It's a nice compact unit but think it will be a nightmare to service....probably will have to be taken down off the wall to service/replace the expansion tank/plate heat exchanger...etc? I plan to get trained it the installation & repair of these unit but can anyone shed some light on them in the meantime. Maybe recommend a superior branf that will satisfy some of the larger homes we service with multiple baths?

Comments

• Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Trouble Free HT380

To be honest, and I hate saying this... these units have been trouble free. I probably have 25 or so out there in the last 4 years and they haven't even had a hiccup (not yet anyway). They are a bit of a bear to work on because they are so small, in the rare occasion that they need service. It has the potential for over 3 GPM and it will slow flow before temperature which is great when there are balancing valves in the shower (no one gets cold just pissy they cant rinse their hair). The venting is pricey and longer runs of venting can mess with the combustion so take your time and tune it well. It is a flat plate exchanger so be aware of that with well water applications. The control boards are very good, I have had a lot of issues with honeywell boards (early triangle tubes, Ultras) especially replacement price, but I checked with my wholesaler and they have only sold 2 boards both were due to water getting on them at install and not premature failures.

Honestly so far I give it an A- for a grade and the new redesign is coming this spring, I believe it's more hot water.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
This discussion has been closed.