Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

A Few Simple Rookie Questions !

Options
I just recently had a very old gas (converted from coal ) boiler replaced. I had never done much of anything with the old system, as it had worked well for the most part. After the install , I had problems with spitting vents ,pipe hammer and uneven heat. After all new vents,skimming the boiler,and adjusting the pressure the plumber got it working OK. I get the feeling that he was doing a lot of guessing, and I don't know if he did everything correctly and if the system is working as efficiently as it should. I now have a hundred questions, but I'll ease into this with just a few. 1- Which of Dan's books would help me the most in evaluating my system ( one pipe system ) and maintaining it ? 2- What are the best radiator vents to use on my type of system ?

3- What would be the best thermostat to use on a steam system ? I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions, but any help with these will be greatly appreiciated.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Understand before buying

We Got Steam help is good to give you an overview and The Lost Art of Steam Heat will really explain the different systems; both are available under the SHOP menu on this site.

You really want to understand a bit about how the system works before buying vents unless you have ones that just don't work now. What kind of vents do you have on the steam main? In general vents by Gorton, Hoffman, and maid O Mist arte usually good, stay away from USAV vents sold at the big box stores and don't use Heat Timer varivalves except in very special cases.

Here is a good steam primer to get you going - http://72.3.142.104/article/236/For-Homeowners/1486/Steam-Heating-Dos-and-Donts 

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Venting choices

The most important vents in a system are those on the main lines. Just give your present radiator vents a short soak in venegar and water, and reinstall them. Keep the boiler off during this!

Have a look at the installation manual which came with your boiler, and compare the piping instructions with what you have. Pipe sizes and layouts are critical to producing dry steam.

Post some pictures here, and we can see any trouble spots.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.