Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving radiator a few inches

Options
I have a one-pipe radiator in my bathroom that I need to move a few inches to the left. I'm getting a new stacking washer/dryer that will reside in a closet to the right of the radiator, and the door of the new washer sticks out a little farther than the old one, and as a result will not clear the radiator when it opens a full 90 degrees to its left.

In my attached picture you can see the closet where the stacking washer/dryer will be located on the right. The washer door will open so that it hits the radiator when open a full 90 degrees.

I need to move the radiator 3-4" to the left of where it is right now. I thought I could accomplish this by inserting a short nipple and some union fittings between the halves of the existing union. I don't want to remove the spud from the radiator because it's old and I don't have a spud wrench. I'm aware that the new union halves may not fit the existing unions perfectly, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Comments

• Boiler wrestler
    Boiler wrestler Member Posts: 43
    Options
    A few inches

If it were mine I would get a new handvalve. You aren't getting that spud out in one piece, spud wrench or not. Cut the nut and support the spud from the inside, put a big wrench on it.

Now you can use a nipple and coupling with your new spud and install the new handvalve.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    What he said

What Boiler Wrestler said is exactly what you need to do. Jam something inside the spud so it doesn't crush and you can probably wrench it out. Cutting the nut off gives you more room for your wrench. Change the valve and you will have a new spud to use with a coupling and a nipple. Lay the rad down when wrenching out the spud.

The right wrenches, a cheater pipe and some muscles and you'll be fine.
  • will smith_4
    will smith_4 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Drier

Couldn't you just get a drier that opens the other way? lol
This discussion has been closed.