Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Float & Thermostatic Trap??

Options
Hi All,

I have a 2-pipe steam system.  The boiler is a Weil-Mclain   I have some "indirect" radiators hanging in basement as well as radiators in some rooms. The house is >100 years old and i assume the piping is quit old. 

I'm having some issues with my boiler (surging and lots of dirty water). It seems i may have dirty water returning to my boiler from the condesate lines. I'm wondering what I can do to improve my system.

On my condensate return I have this device: A "Hoffman Float & Thermostatic Trap".  Can you give me any advice on this device?  I'm wondering what its doing on my system and whether it is installed correctly.  It seems that some but not all condesate returns are attached to it.  You can see in the picture how some condensate lines don't connect to it.  Is this correct?  Does this thing ever need replacement or cleaning?

Comments

• RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    F&T

If you go to yahoo and look up F&T traps under Armstrong they have a good pictorial.    F&T traps gather condensate at the end of a line and release it back to the boiler,condensate pump or boiler feed tank by means of an internal float assy.  The T stands for temp.  the internal element releases unwanted air  The internal water seal prevents live steam from getting into the cond. line.  You can get a rebuild kit for this trap, you can check the temp. drop across the trap, if the outlet temp.is the same as the inlet than the trap is bad. Traps need to be maintained.  I would also clean out that wye strainer or replace it,   not sure where the rest of the piping goes.   I would cut out all that copper and repipe that whole thing in black pipe with a wye strainer ahead of the trap.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.