Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostatic Radiator Air Vents

Options
Is there any real difference between the Danfoss RA 2000 'Thermostatic Radiator Valve' (air vent) and the Vent-Rite #1 Air Valve/vent (also with a "thermostatic" control)? I have attached pictures of each.

This is for a steam radiator system.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!

Comments

• David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    Vent-Rite

I don't think the Vent-Rite is thermostatic. It's just an adjustable vent. The Danfoss assembly is three parts, the thermostatic actuator, the one-pipe steam adapter, and a straight vent. You don't have to use a Danfoss vent; you can use any 1/8" straight vent.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    The

vent-rite is not thermostatic, it's merely an adjustable vent. The other is thermostatic and will shut based on temperature.
  • NewlyPuzzled
    NewlyPuzzled Member Posts: 30
    Options
    David

Thank you! That information helps a lot!!
  • NewlyPuzzled
    Options
    Paul48

Thanks! That's what I needed to know!!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Thermostatic air vents

Those vents will not be able to compensate for any system imbalance, due to deferred maintenance, and may make the situation worse. The same principle holds true for certain boiler controls, in that they can only benefit a system which is perfectly balanced.

When the system was first installed, the original owners would not have tolerated the symptoms which now exist. The system would have been even, economical, and silent. Your task will be to oversee the undoing of years of neglect. The re- installation of main vents which have been removed should be the first task, and will cost less, and do more than the thermostatic radiator vents.

If this 30 year old boiler is to last another 15 years, now is the time to address these issues. If you want to reduce your gas bill to normal consumption, then right now is the time to start. If you want to keep your tennants, then act now!--NBC
  • NewlyPuzzled
    Options
    NBC

Thanks for the information. I will pass it along!

Thanks again for all your help!!
This discussion has been closed.