Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-Mc. PEG 40 no restart after low water cutoff

ARCO_Fan
ARCO_Fan Member Posts: 1
Components are:

Weil-McLain PEG 40 Gas-Fired Steam Boiler (w/o hot water coil) McDonnell & Miller WFE -24 Uni-Match Universal Water Feeder, Hydrolevel Safeguard 400 LWCO, Honeywell PA404A 1009 Pressuretrol, Effikal GVD-6 Vent Damper, and finally, Honeywell PRO TH4210D Thermostat. (All components of a one-pipe steam system)

Situation is:

Christmas Eve (when else!) noticed that the house is getting cold. . . Saw that there was NO water in the furnace glass, low water cut off light is lit and boiler is off, and seems to have been off for several hours. All components with the exception of the Thermostat were installed by the plumber at the time the new boiler was installed, last April. I installed the plumber-provided thermostat and it has worked fine (about 4 months ago). I manually refilled the boiler and performed the suggested restart procedure (turn gas, power off, wait five, turn gas, power on up thermostat to call for heat. . ) No joy. After trouble shooting the LWCO, Feeder, Thermostat and Damper with an electrician, we decided to "hot-wire" the boiler. NOT A RECOMMENDED PROCEDURE. Now I am stuck with a furnace that will fire, but will keep burning come hell, high pressure, temperature or low water. I am currently regulating the heat via the emergency cut off switch, but have large fluctuations in temp/pressure and water level.

Today, I ran out to replace the supposedly "iffy" circuit board on the LWCO. There was no difference in performance once I hooked up the electrical-- took it right back and BEGGED for a refund (got it).

Question:

What's wrong? Any troubleshooting tips?

My plumber seems to be unavailable-- (suspect he is a lot smarter than he seemed when he installed the unit.)

Best regards,

ARCO FAN
This discussion has been closed.