Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler supply take-offs

Options
Fizz
Fizz Member Posts: 547
The take-off from my boiler goes to T in main, with one side supplying a 4 radiator loop, and the other to 10 radiator loop.  The take-off is properly piped between last boiler riser and equalizer.  The short side(4 rad), heats quicker and better than other loop rads.  Would it be better to repipe another take-off for each loop?  Both loops dry returns share same Gorton #2 main vent as part of Richardson system.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays to all

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Yes.

Each main branch should have its own supply riser. In the short term, however, you may get some noticeable improvement by increasing the venting on the long branch. I'm not clear on how the Gorton vent is being shared by the two branches. Can you post some pictures?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Fizz
    Options
    Here are pics

Hope they help. 
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    My brain hurts.

I cheated and went and looked at this thread you posted back in July. You were experimenting with different main vents back then; can you bring us up to speed on where you got with that?

Looking at the schematic of the system you posted, it looks like part of this system is 2-pipe vapor-vacuum and the rest is simple 1-pipe; is that correct? If so, I'm having a hard time seeing how the two can coexist in the same system even if they are piped independently, because they still share a header, and if one branch is under a vacuum while the rest is at one atmosphere--if that's even possible--I don't see how you can expect to get stem to go through a main at 1 atm. when there's a partial vacuum pulling it in the other direction.

But you don't say if it's the 2-pipe or the one-pipe rads that aren't heating now.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Fizz
    Options
    Clairify system

The system is all 2 pipe, original Richardson, with 3 add-on radiators with traditional traps.  Two of rads have a dedicated supply and dry return vented with a maid o mist line vent.  These heat very well.  The 3rd was added to original loop and is piped off supply lateral to another radiator.  It works fairly well.  Did tinker with vents, but now have just 2, the one mentioned previously, and the Gorton #2 which replaced vacuum vent at end of dry main.  System runs between 2-3oz of pressure according to vaporstat, which I origially set at 12/8, now down to 8/8.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    while that is a cool chrome vent

it is way too small to be a Gorton #2. They are golden and 6" in diameter. There is no venting for the left hand return. It is good they have seperate drops now.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • Fizz
    Options
    You're right

it is a maid o' mist line vent for the 2 radiator run, the prior pictures above, if you check middle one, shows Gorton #2 main line vent, which vents both loops.
This discussion has been closed.