Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

An Oldie, but is it a Goodie?

Hi,

I stumbled upon this website, never thought I'd learn so much about steam heat!

We've owned this house and its old Pennco steam boiler (single pipe system) for 12 years. After initially replacing the radiator & riser valves on the advice of the local hardware store guy, we've been satisfied with its performance. The house is a rowhouse, has new windows, doors, roof insulation, so it is pretty efficient.

Are we crazy not to replace the boiler right now? How old is it? Our plumber/heating contractor was pushing converting to hot water, but that seems unnecessarily expensive and messy. I'd like to find a heating contractor in Brooklyn NY who is a "Steamhead" to do replacement or maintenance.

Best holiday wishes to all.

Thanks,

Terry

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,977
    edited December 2012
    Sorry,

there's only one Steamhead and he's out of Baltimore.  But there should be plenty of excellent steam men from Brooklyn that hang out here.  Have you checked out "Find a Contractor" on the above menu?

Glad to hear that your steam system works well.  As far as efficiency, what is your monthly gas bill like and how big is your house?  You could start saving money by insulating your steam pipes.

And at least a couple of things that should be corrected when you do get a new boiler (and you may not understand what I'm talking about):

1) Re-work the header to remove bullhead tees. This will also clear up the problem of condensate trying to get to the equalizer, but getting blasted in the face by the second riser.

2) Re-work equalizer to drop straight down from the header with the horizontal offset made below the water line.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    do not

do not convert to hot water.....did a steam boiler yesterday morning in brighton beach....where in brooklyn are you located????
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Brooklyn Steam Pro

Try Gateway Plumbing and Heating.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/professional/66/Gateway-Plumbing-and-Heating
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Cidermill
    Cidermill Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012

Thanks for your quick reply. sorry this is so delayed, I lost the password.

The house is 15x45 feet & 3 stories + cellar, 130 years old. I recall the max gas bill for the coldest month for heat, hot water, dryer & stoves has been about $550. We've recently replaced all the old windows and insulated the roof so we expect it will be better. Good point about the insulation of pipes. We've essentially been heating the cellar, which helps keep dampness in check (we get some seepage thru old schist walls), but I'm sure there's a better way to deal with that.

Will pass your pipe comments on to the contractor when we get one.

Thanks again.
  • Cidermill
    edited December 2012

• Cidermill

In Park Slope South.
  • Cidermill

Thanks!
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    edited January 2013
    Thank you, Hap_Hazzard.

Best of everything to all in 2013.

Cidermill, give my office a call some time and I'll come out and take a look. I'm in Park Slope a lot of the time.

From your pic, it looks like your boiler's too old and was never installed or maintained correctly. Your boiler should look something like this recent installation of ours:
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
This discussion has been closed.