Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator venting

Options
i have dan 's books i wanted to survey , your opinion

is it better to use the same vents in all the radiators if the radiators are the same size or size them according to location..

for example hoffman 40 thruout or the gorton different sizes...

thank you

and merry christmas to all

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.

Some people have great lock with putting Hoffman 40's on everything and some don't. If the radiators are all about the same size then one size might well do well for all, but if they are different sizes on different floors it might not work as well.

All systems are different and you have to take each systems differences into account My steam main is very short but the leadouts to the radiators are between 10 and 20 feet so I use faster vents on the ones with long leadouts and a slower vent on the radiator that is in the room with the thermostat.

that works well for me but your mileage may vary,

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • tony_19
    tony_19 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    venting

the radiators are on different floors the main are about 40 ft from the boiler and the riser are about 30 ft the mains are vented with gorton #2 (2)
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    The volume of air to be vented determines the size.

You're not just venting the radiator; you're venting the piping that carries the steam from the main to the radiator. If your venting capacities aren't proportional to these volumes, they won't allow the radiators to fill in the same amount of time. If the radiators that control the thermostat fill first, some of them may never get hot.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.