Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

failed my inspection.........

Options
jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
a nice gentle reminder the other day,replaced a boiler in a garage in a flooded area on long island last week.i had my inspection yesterday and failed.when installing boiler in a garage ignition source on boiler must be a minimum of 18" above floor.

Inspector was sympathetic but correctly insisted on raising it,

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    that or

a vapor barrier. I prefer 18" or more off the floor myself
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Oilers & Gasbags:

You must be an oiler.

18" above the floor for an ignition source is gasbag 101. Oil inspectors just don't always pick it up. It also applies to electric water heaters in garages. Any source of ignition of gasoline vapors in a garage must be 18+ or more off the floor. The vapors stay on the floor like Propane, which is heavier than air. Nat. Gas isn't.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Options
    exactly what he said

yes icesailor thats what he said,i am glad he caught it.i must admit though i have worked in the 5 boro's for a long time and have yet to see a raised boiler in a garage.better safe than sorry though.thanks
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Gas Dryers are OK ?!

We have the 18 inch rule in garages too and that part of it makes sense, yet it's okay for a gas clothes dryer to sit on the floor right next to the water heater. Go figure!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Gas dryers in garages:

Just because he.she is an inspector, doesn't mean they know all the answers.

I think that the rule actually is that there can not be ANY source of ignition in a garage that CAN have vehicles or gasoline engines stored that don't have the ignition source 18" above the floor.  And like I said, that includes electric water heaters.

It isn't far from the requirement that no source of ignition may be within a specified distance from a gas meter or gas regulator.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    there was...

an inspector in a town near me who wanted any ignition source on the same level whether in the garage or not 18" off the floor.  So we were doing a new house and it had a drive under garage.. the boiler, indirect and well tank ( pump pressure tank switch) had to be 18" off the floor....low voltage included.
This discussion has been closed.