Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gypcrete vs levelfloor

cobra
cobra Member Posts: 1
I just had "Levelfloor" poured over radiant tubing. I understand it is a better product than Gypcrete.

The day after it was poured, we had 0 deg temps and I believe the product froze.

Does anyone know what I can expect? I hear about Gypcrete crumbling if frozen. Can I expect the same from Levelfloor? If so, what can I do??

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Levelfloor?

Never heard of it.

Could it be USG LevelRock? http://www.usg.com/poured-flooring.html
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I'm thinking...

if it has water in it, it is going to crumble. There are only so many ways to make a "crete", regardless of wether it is Gyp, Con or other, and they all require the use of water, which if allowed to freeze, will expand by 20% of its original volume, which is where the problem comes from.

I know my Gypcrete dealer REQUIRES that heat be available during a winter pour and its only function is one of keeping the gyp from freezing during the first 72 hours of life.

Check with the Level floor suppliers and see what their response is.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2012
    You can expect

That it froze. Was winter protection used? concrete blankets anything? It will crumble as been stated. now, and for ever. Needs to be ripped out, and redone. Your installer should have known way better then that.

Are you sure of the name of the product use. Not that it matters not any mortar, or concrete products that take 0 degrees well after being poured with out proper protection.
This discussion has been closed.