Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Enough main venting?

Options
I replaced the main vents on both of my mains last week with one Gorton #1 each. I did some rough calculations and I figure that the longer of the two mains may need an additional vent. Both mains have three radiators each.

Main 1

13' x 2"

8' x 1-3/4"

Main 2

15' x 2"

10' x 1-3/4"

Thoughts?

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited December 2012
    Options
    SB ok

The 15 ft main contains about 0.33 cu ft of air, the follow on pipe has 0.12 cu ft and the Gorton #1 is rated for 0.33 CFM so that main should be able to vent in a minute and change. If you had a low pressure gauge and could see what the pressure was while that main was venting you would like it to be 2 oz or less.

How long does it take the steam to get from the boiler to the main vent now? Are the pipes insulated? I wouldn't be concerned with adding more venting at this point unless you are getting more than a couple of oz of back pressure.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • pcloadletter
    pcloadletter Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Enough main venting?

The main vents are at the end of each main before it drops down to the Hartford loop. When I figure out the numbers, do I only need to worry about the piping from header to the last radiator tee, or do i need to include the return piping from the last radiator tee to the main vent located by the Hartford loop?

The pipes are insulated and it doesn't take very long for the steam to reach the main vent (I haven't timed it). I have a low-pressure gauge and it only rises from 1-2 oz. up to 1.5 lbs. at the end of a cycle when the radiator vents close and the thermostat or the pressuretrol is about to shut it off.

The radiator vents whistle after the boiler shuts off and the system pulls a vacuum. Shouldn't the Gorton's open up after the cycle to vent air back into the mains?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Only to the last radiator takeoff on the main.

You want to get the air out of the mains fast so the radiator takeoffs can start filling with steam, any piping beyond the last radiator takeoff really doesn't count as far as mains venting is concerned. The Gortons will open when they cool down a bit, what kinds of vents are you using on the radiators?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • pcloadletter
    pcloadletter Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Enough main venting?

New Hoffman 1A's on all six radiators.
This discussion has been closed.