Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Torridheet Oil Boiler

Options
BenMyers
BenMyers Member Posts: 1
Does anyone have a manual or information about a Torridheet Oil Fired Boiler?  I have a model 602RW140 (108,000 BTU) in my house.  Yes, it actually works, but the reset switch sometimes needs manually reset.  Most of the furnace repairmen in my area refuse to work on it, so I am doing the repairs myself.  If I had a manual, I could figure out if it needs an adjustment or if the magnetic switch just needs replaced.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    rotary

Is it still a rotary burner? That may be why. Parts have not been available for decades, and unless you are burning Kero, they don't run for $$it. I haven't had a rotary in my customer base for at least 20 years.  I'll look, but have gotten rid of my rotary books. Still have a GE manual, but no sure if I kept the Torrid Heet, Timken, Hayward books. I'm not sure if you can even get any kind of Verti-flame burner for those anymore. It may be time to bite the bullet. That is not something that an inexperienced person should work on, for they have killed.  I would work on it, but I'm quite sure you are many miles from me. The boilers were built to last, but it's time has come I'm afraid.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Torridheat:

Unless it is a later model with a more modern power burner that had a Shell Head burner. And what you are talking about is a RA117 stack switch. In the case of a 117, in most places they are illegal because they were the best available in their day but have been vastly improved upon. RA 117's could fail in a way that would allow the burner to continue to run when no flame had been establish and could drain the entire contents of an oil tane be pumped into the boiler and the tank emptied. And still continued to run.

If you have a Rotary burner, I'd contact the Smithsonian. They might be looking for it. If not, there is a scrap yard somewhere that will take it.

More to the point, why would you want to try to keep it going? It's probably older than you are.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Can you post some pics

If it is not a rotary, and turns out to be their newer high pressure gun type burner, shame on them. No one "likes" to work on old units, but guess what, you work within your customer's means, or give them the option of seeking another service pro. They could also be very much right in not wanting to service it. That is the other side of the coin that we have all seen. The newer units were old Waltham boilers that were steel about 3/8" thick or better. If that is the case, upgrade the burner and controls to start with. As Ice mentioned, there is probably an RA116 or 117 stack control, and those are still out there, but not wise to use anymore due to a 90 second safety timing as opposed to 15 seconds that monitors flame quality-OHMs, and flame stability. 
This discussion has been closed.