Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Honeywell burner control RM7897A1002 relay issue

NYCLandlordNYCLandlord Posts: 20Member
Hi all,

I initially posted my problem in Strictly Steam, and now I think it might be the burner controller instead.  We recently converted from oil to gas, so a brand new system was repalced in a 20 unit apt building.  Our brand new Honeywell control RM7897A1002 for a Powerflame worked fine for 3 months and now we are getting lockouts for various fault messages.

Using the keyboard display, I was able to read the HISTORY of lockouts.

The very first was # 28 "pilot light failure", which I dismissed because it was on the 4th cycle on the first hour which I assume was during installation or testing.

Second fault one month later was 128 "internal fault", fixed by resetting.

One month later, fault 1 "missing purge card", fixed by resetting

2 days later, fault 128 again, fixed by resetting

next day, LOCKOUT, "SETUP NEEDED". fixed by going into setup menu to save and confirm zero prepurge time because system uses a 30sec prepurge card.

Once the system runs, it runs perfect.  So I'm wondering if the ghost might be in the controller.  "SETUP NEEDED" locks out the system, but is not a fault error, therefore not in the history.  What would cause it to go into SETUP?

As I'm typing this, I wonder if the conflict is with the prepurge time of zero on the controller's memory vs. the 30 sec prepure card mounted on the controller as well.

Has anyone had a similar experience with these errors?

thanks.

Comments

This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!