Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do I remove this pressure gauge?

This pressure gauge has not been working correctly for the past few years. It reads 5-6 psi even when the boiler is off. Sometimes it resets close to zero when I'm cleaning or messing around with the boiler. I know it's really not supposed to register any pressure since the steam system should operate at low PSI. How do I remove it to clean or replace it? The gauge sits right up against the sheet metal so I can't reach a wrench down behind it. I was going to try unscrewing the whole gauge but I don't want to break it off its mount.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    have a pro replace it

they can be tough to get at sometimes
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    guage removal

Push in on the jacket ( side of the boiler) and You should be able to get a combination wrench or small cresant wrench on it. There is a square nut on the back of the guage.
  • pcloadletter
    pcloadletter Member Posts: 38
    Nope the sheet metal won't budge

No matter how hard I try I can't get a wrench behind the gauge.
  • billtwocase
    in the steam section here

is that you post that you already added another gauge?
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    guage removal

The cabinet must be catching on the boss that the guage is screwed into othwise it would push in - albeit not easily.
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Those pesky gauges ........

If it was threaded in with Teflon there's a good chance it can be backed out by hand . I'd use a rag and heavy gloves in case the glass breaks . Worse case , you can use a pipe wrench and catch the outside of the gauge .  I'd install a pigtail to protect the new gauge from direct steam and crud from the boiler . 
  • billtwocase
    Hello Ron

Been a while. How's things with you? I think the gauge has been added on a pigtail in the steam section here? 
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    Hey Bill !

Nice to hear from you . Things have been crazy since the hurricane . How have you been ? 
  • pcloadletter
    pcloadletter Member Posts: 38
    Thanks guys

I'll give it a shot when I have some time.
This discussion has been closed.