Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

banging zone valves

markp
markp Member Posts: 3
We are a heating company in Connecticut and install many hot water boiler, we use Peerless and Buderus boilers. I have a problem with Honeywell zone valves slamming shut at the end of the heat cycle. We always use Honeywell valves and we install four or five systems a week. This banging only happens once a year. Please Help. MarkP. The directional arrow is pointed the right way

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    That's a common problem that's been going on for many years.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/article/362/Zone-Valves/139/Banging-Zone-Valves
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585
    BTW

the reason why Jim's ad is appearing on my posts is because he was having a tough time setting it up, so I did it for him from my end. The software now thinks I'm good looking, like Jim. ;-)

The techies are on it and in the meantime, I'm happy to stand next to his fine ad. Thanks for your patience.
    Retired and loving it.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    piping

can you post some pics?
  • markp
    dont have pics now

Unfortunately I do not have piping pics. My first time using Heat Helper. I will post some Monday when I can go customers home again. any advice now ?
  • HDE
    HDE Member Posts: 225
    Possibly

Any chance they are being installed in the wrong flow direction?

Often they are installed to give easy access to wiring and now circulation slams the ball closed verses closing against flow. Steep curve pumps also have this affect as often systems are over pumped.

Pump and expansion tank location helps as a cushion too.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,793
    I'd offer

that hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of Honeywell zone valves are in service that don't hammer:) With both springs still attached.

Improper installation as HDE mention is one cause. Excessive velocity is another common cause. Check the pumps for proper sizing
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    BTW

I've been wondering about that. Was thinking maybe you had a new assignment....
  • billtwocase
    possible

that you are using an IFC circ?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    IFC's

IFC's and zone valves are an oxymoron.

Overpumped, high head, high flow circulators, IFC's and zone valves, which are really moroeized flow checks, are a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have a standard flow check as the flow control on the main with the zone valves, open the flow check and see if the problem goes away. It might.

If you are winterizing a heat system , draining it for the season, and it has IFC's installed on the circulators, how do yo know if they are there? Who should be respomsible if there is freeze damage?
  • billtwocase
    IFC's

never liked or used them. Possible that in this case, if there is one present, that it is isolating the expansion tank or system
  • markp
    possible IFC

Usually we remove the internal check from the circulator if it has one, this one might have slipped by us. Thanx will check asap MarkP
This discussion has been closed.