Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Intermittent lockout Bock 32E hot water heater. Carlin burner.

I installed a Bock 32E about a year ago and the last 4 months the heater is having intermittent lockouts. Sometimes once a day, sometimes once every 3 days. I have changed the electrodes and nozzle, checked the cad cell, and it seems to have a clean burn. (burner calibration tool is @ factory for service). It is installed with a tiger loop system and there does not seem to be air in the fuel or any restrictions. It is installed next to an air furnace and I am sure there is not enough make up air for the system, but everything seems clean and it ran for about 8 months problem free.

I am going to install more make up air and I am also thinking of adding a delay for the fuel and controller with a pre and post purge. Any other thoughts or input?

Thanks

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Lockouts:

If you are using the Carlin burner control, you need to check the ohms reading while the burner is running. If it is 1,000 to 1,500 Ohms or higher, it is not seeing enough flame and may cause nuisance lockouts. It probably has an electronic transformer or spark igniter. They are supposed to work or not work. I have seen them where they worked almost all of the time. Until I replaced them. If it has a bad motor, and doesn't start properly, it may not start but the control locks it out. The next time you re-set it and try it, it works fine for some period of  a time. SO,

Check the ohm reading of the cad cell when running 500 ohms is a good place to be.

It could be a bad igniter.

It could be a bad motor.

Take your pick until you find it.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    combution results?

also what and where are the primary oil filters, tank and location, nozzle specs, ant pump pressure/vacuum readings? Most likely the Carlin primary may be the issue, but you need to test more. Why the tiger loop? 
This discussion has been closed.