Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

South Side ODR Sensor

NYplumber
NYplumber Member Posts: 503
Happy holidays,

I have a client with a large knight boiler due for service. First time in 5 years. Other than changing the usual parts and cleaning the boiler I am offering to install an ODS for the boiler. The only wall to go through is the boiler room wall and it is on the south side. The house is an an urban setting and the next house on the south side is twelve feet away. Both the clients home and the neighbors home are three stories tall.

Scrap the sensor, or find a dark cold spot on the south side and install?
:NYplumber:

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    The only wall to go through ...

My mod-con came with an outdoor temperature detector (thermistor) that the installing contractor did not wish to install. He said they did not make much difference. Well, the way that contractor worked, they probably did not, because they sold oversize boilers that then had to modulate all the way down even on design day.

I insisted he hook it up, and that it be on the north wall. Since my boiler is in my garage on the south end of the building, this posed a problem. But he finally did it and it works just fine Running that wire was no fun at all. House is a Cape Cod type, and he had to run the wire on the upstairs level in that tiny space between the house and the roof. Sort of a crawl space, and to make matters worse, filled with fiberglass insulation. He did not thank me; I did thank him.

I am not a heating contactor. I think it might have worked had he installed the sensor on the east side of the house in the shade where the roof overhangs the wall by about a foot. That is where the sensor for my indoor-outdoor thermometer is located. It seems to work fairly well.
This discussion has been closed.