Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Current draw for Taco 007-f5 circulator

BobF_2
BobF_2 Member Posts: 2
I have a two-zone-plus-hot-water hydronic system with Taco 007-F5 circulators on each zone (actually, the hot water tank circulator is an older model).  About a year ago one zone went out (with the circulator occasionally making brief loud noises) -- I did nothing about it because that zone is where my wood stove is located, and I just burned more wood.  Last week the other zone went out.  I have purged both zones.

I checked the current draw of the circulators on both zones and each draws 1.2 amps.  The rated current on them is .71 amps.  Is this a sign that both are locked?  I've seen a lot of conflicting advice on this.  Most posts in this forum say that the current doesn't change that much when locked.

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    YUP

They are locked up. replace them.
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    They are locked up. replace them.

Might it not be wise to investigate why they both locked up? You do not want that happening to the new ones.
  • BobF_2
    BobF_2 Member Posts: 2
    could it be "locked" even if free-turning?

I took the cartridge out of one of the circulators and it turns freely and it and the chamber are perfectly clean. 

Another question: the two branches of the supply line to the second floor zone each have the device shown in the picture inline.  What is it?
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    check valve

Looks like a heavy check valve to me.
This discussion has been closed.