Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in sight glass on pennco 1660 steam boiler

Hi please help me I have a one pipe steam system. All the radiators are working fine but I notice the water in the sight glass goes down about 1 and 1/2 each day. This causes water feeder to kick in and brings back to normal level. I am very concerned about water being added everyday. Not sure where water is going. I had return pipes changed last spring and have not seen any signs of water or leaks around radiators, boilers or exposed pipes. Very worried if someone can advise me.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    leak inside the boiler?

I assume you have searched high and low for any signs of a leak in the piping and radiators. Is this boiler oil fired or gas?

When the boiler is on go outside and see if there is a lot of white smoke coming out of the chimney. If so you have a leak from the boiler into the combustion chamber and that is usually the end of that boiler.

The way to confirm a leak is to overfill the boiler with water WHEN IT IS COLD and check back a few hours later for any water under the boiler or insude the combustion chamber.

I hope I'm wrong,

Bob 
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Needhelp123
    Needhelp123 Member Posts: 4
    Sight glass

Hey bob it's gas fired. No smoke coming out of radiator. Heat came on just now and can returned in sight glass about 1/4 inch less. One of main vents was hissing a lot not sure if all of this is normal or big problem. Almost every time water reruns it is a 1/4 inch less in sight glass
  • Needhelp123
    Needhelp123 Member Posts: 4
    Sight glass

Hey bob it's gas fired. No smoke coming out of radiator. Heat came on just now and can returned in sight glass about 1/4 inch less. One of main vents was hissing a lot not sure if all of this is normal or big problem. Almost every time water reruns it is a 1/4 inch less in sight glass
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    White smoke from chimney

The question is there white smoke coming out of the chimney when the boiler is making steam. That would indicate a leak inside the combustion chamber.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.