Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boilers: Electro vs. Thermolec

Hello All:

On the spec home we just finished, we installed an Electro EB-MO-10 for the radiant floor system and like the product very much.  Especially the fact its made in the USA.  Before sending out the purchase order for that unit we were also aware of the Thermolec B-11TMB, but decided to go with the Electro.

We have another install coming up shortly and are weighing this decision again.  Both units have ODR, direct connection for t-stat, and pump control.  The Thermolec is roughly 35% less money, much lighter due to SS vessel and aluminum case, in stock close by, and made in Canada (which in our mind is the next best thing).  The Electro is always weeks out from an order, but getting in contact with the factory is easy and it has a 20 year vessel warranty compared to the Thermolec's 10 year.

I have seen comments here before on this issue but most I found are roughly 4 years old and was wondering about current experience.  One post I saw here mentioned a few Thermolec failures shortly after install.  Another mentioned they have had realys in the Thermolec go bad and the factory sends them out 25 amp replacements for 15 amp original units.  And still another said they have installed almost a dozen Thermolec units with no issues.

Opinions?  Recent failure experience?  Support experience?

Thanks very much

Jeffrey Bruton

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    one Thermolec

Installed a few months ago, just started heating, no issues so far.  Limited control over outdoor reset parameters, but good enough for this project.
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    they are both good

but we are very impressed with the robust construction of the electro and have adopted it.

both units could stand to learn a bit about how to set up an ODR function too... I find both of them restrictive and silly. but better than nothing.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Slant Fin makes

a very nice one. Their boiler control is packed with features. A very tough and clean construction. They have a built in terminal to recieve a load control signal, if your power company offers it. As far as I can tell, the only thing missing is an integrated dual feul setup. That can easily be addressed though.

I have not used Electro or Thermolec so I have no opinion on them.

Harvey
  • Karl_Northwind
    Karl_Northwind Member Posts: 139
    thermolec

I've installed a few of the thermolec's, and have found them to be just fine.  I will probably install an Electro when the increased cost isn't an issue.  we've only installed them when the up front cost dictated electric and not LP or NG.  usually we install with concrete high mass floors when We can put them on off peak to get a base load heat and reduce the electricity costs. 

karl
This discussion has been closed.