Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heating to 105F with radiant and conventional?

Options
Maya
Maya Member Posts: 2
Hey everyone,

I have a 800 sf room and am trying to get the heat up to 105F. At this moment we have 4 radiant heat panels that the contractor said would get the room "hot enough" they heat to 110F. I also have a normal furnace that goes up to 90 if left on long enough. I turn the panels on a hour before class begins and the furnace on about 20min before. The problem is the building is old and has bad insulation. There are cold spots in the room and the heat never passes 90.

My questions are:

Should I buy more radiant panels and forget the conventional heat all together?

Or

Should I buy more of a powerful electric space heater and also use the radiant heat?

(If so is it dangerous to use radiant heat and additional sources since the radiant panels are heating objects, such as people, and not the air?)

Thanks for the advice!

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Heating room to 105*??

Is this an experiment? Sauna? Room size Petri dish.

A little more info as to the purpose of heating a room to 105* would be helpful.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Hot yoga?

Just a guess...
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Is this an experiment?

Does marijuana grow better at higher temperatures? Getting ready for climate change?
  • MayaR
    MayaR Member Posts: 1
    Options
    hot yoga

Yes I am heating a Hot Yoga room. Bikyasa to be specific.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    they heat to 110F

Is the water circulating at 110F?  If so, the room will never get to 105F at this time of year.

"contractor said" needs to be backed up by a heat loss calculation.  Do you have one?
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Options
    Dangerous? Could be...

There are lots of things to consider when exposing humans to high temperatures like that. Psychrometric charts exist that estimate the effect of different air temperatures, relative humidity, and mean radiant temperatures on human body's ability to shed excess heat. It's all very interdependent. I presume that you wouldn't want to lose customers to heat stroke. Liability is one concern, loss of reputation is another. You may want to consult experts in this particular field and commission a design. You don't need a heating professional, you need an overheating professional. :-)
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: Hot yoga room

I have dealt with these some in the review process. If the room is not well insulated, no vapor barrier on walls, floors etc, there could be some moisture problems that will occur and possible mold issues down the road. Ventilation is also important. You may want to consult with a hot yoga room designer  re: these issues. Also I have found that for quick heat up, water to air unit with some ventilation air and fairly hot water temps is a better way to get up to temp.
This discussion has been closed.