Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wood fireplace to natural gas, but no gas

Options
Cib
Cib Member Posts: 1
I am looking for options to convert my wood burning fireplace to natural gas and also setup a natural gas generator to that natural gas source as well. Few few details:

- I have oil heat. No gas to my house or on my block

- primary goal is to heat a open family room that is 20 x 20

- secondary goal is to have a generator run off natural gas in case we have another Sandy-like storm and can't get gas from a gas station

Are there residential natural gas tanks that are safe and reasonably economical? I went to a fireplace store and was told that is not an option and need to get natural gas on my block. I just want to know my options and don't know who the right source is? Thanks

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Gas:

Its called PROPANE or LPG, Liquefied Petroleum Gas.

It usually costs more than fuel oil per BTU per gallon.

The generator will have more output with LPG than Nat. Gas and you can easily store the LPG fuel in a tank.

As far as fireplace heaters are concerned, depending on your code issues. you will not pay back the cost of installation in your lifetime.

If you put a wall heater in the room like a Rannai, the fuel savings will be almost un-noticeable, in spite of what some may say. You still need to heat domestic hot water and that is the major energy user in a house.

I think it is an unwise decision to judge your electrical needs on one storm. Unless you loose power multiple times per year, every year, you will never justify the use of stand-by power. Where I used to live, the power was generated locally. The power was always going out. I needed power to run my heat and well pump to water our livestock. A generator was a must. I moved to where I now live. In 12+ years, the generator has been needed no more than three times, and honestly, only during Sandy when the power went out for 7 hours during the evening. We had prepared for it with stored water, and we went to bed. When we went to bed, the power was back. I never bothered to try to run the generator.

Stand-by generators are a PITA until you need them. And unless you have operated them regularly, when you need them, they won't work.

IMO
This discussion has been closed.