Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam help!

Options
adambuild
adambuild Member Posts: 414
Hi Wallies,

We cleaned up an old steam system last week where only the first floor rads were getting hot and the second floor was barely warm. We thoroughly cleaned the boiler, sight glass, pigtail, pressuretrol, pressure gauge, and changed all of the rad vents to vari-vents. We closed the downstairs ones and left the upstairs ones open. It worked great last week but now the HO is saying nothing is getting hot upstairs!? We didn't change the two main vents because they seemed to be working. Any ideas?!?!?!?

Thanks, Adam

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

What pressure is the boiler running at?
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,961
    Options
    What brand and size of the main vents?

I am working around the clock, so I may not respond fast enough.  You can call me late at night or on my break I will return call if possible.  Mad Dog 516-322-2881
  • adambuild
    adambuild Member Posts: 414
    Options
    !

Thanks guys! System set at approximately 1/2 pound pressure with differential set to 1. There are two GORTON #1 vents. As mentioned, I didn't change them but they seemed to be OK. Mains are each 2" and each are about 35' long.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

Hmm. Are the valves open? Something must be getting hot.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Something changed

What sort of thermostat is controlling the system? If you short the wires for the thermostat to simulate a constant call for heat, can you see if steam is getting to all the rads simultaneously? With all the work you did, there must be some simple explanation, and maybe JS* is on it with the pressure, and a re-clogged pigtail.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.