Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Insulating around waste pipe?

Options
JenD
JenD Member Posts: 10
We are having our powder room floor tiled in a few days, and today the plumber came and swapped out the lead waste pipe for pvc. He left it high so we could tile and then he will come back to cut to appropriate height.

We noticed there is a lot of cold draft coming up through the large gap around the pipe and wondered if we could put insulation there, stuffed down under the subfloor and trying to block the air before the backerboard and tile is installed. Is this appropriate and if so, what should we use?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Jim Godbout
    Jim Godbout Member Posts: 49
    Options
    Insulate

Hi Jen

you need to find why you have so much infiltration and seal it properly

We find best solution for sealing around older homes is spray foam which stops drafts and rodents as well.

definitely do this before sealing up floor system

there are many DIY kits or hire a professional to do proper insulating of space.

good luck

jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JenD
    Options
    Oh, I know why it's so cold!

Thanks for writing Jim. I've actually written about that dreaded basement here before and received some help. Our townhome is over a cinderblock basement that... well, just picture an unheated garage, it's the same thing. We don't own the basement, that belongs to the homeowners' association, and it is a 1000 square feet of uninsulated cement floor and cinderblock (it is the open room basement that runs under mine and my neighbors' townhomes. It is completely uninsulated, including the patchwork drywall ceiling that covers our floor joists. Not much I can do about it, apparently.

So I want to figure out a way to just block the cold air coming through that hole in the floor. Since we're working in that room, plastic bags stuffed around that pipe are working nicely, but I'm guessing that is not a longterm solution! So I wondered if it would be okay to stuff batt in there just to block the flow of air, probably best I can hope for right now. Just wanted to know if there would be a potential mold issue I should worry about?

Thanks for your help!
  • Jim Godbout
    Jim Godbout Member Posts: 49
    Options
    mold

Mold should not be an issue, unless there is moisture problems in that space

Really should get a building professional find a way to insulate this space maybe via blown cellulose or foam

there is always a way to make things right.

Stuff area with batts for temp repair and spray with closed cell foam to seal up

best

jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JenD
    Options
    Thanks

Thank you -- I think my only option at this point is to go with the batt insulation. Appreciate your help!
This discussion has been closed.