Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure Gauge Problem

Options
I have a 1 pipe steam system heated with a 8 year old Peerless Series 61/62 Gas Boiler. 30 lb.pressure gauge is mounted to the side of boiler. No pigtail on gauge. I have had no problem with this gauge until 4 nights ago. This entire unit runs like a champ. I noticed the other day when the boiler was not running that the pressure gauge was reading 10lbs. Hg. and when the boiler was producing steam the gauge was reading 10 lbs. PSI. When the boiler cooled down the gauge was back at 10 lbs. Hg. There were no other problems when the boiler was running just the gauge. Normally the gauge would read 0 lbs. to 1 lb. Is the gauge bad??  Anyone have any ideas??

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Gauge may have failed

Gauges do die, your saying it reads 10PAI all the time now? I assume the boiler still heats fine and there are no strange noises like loud hissing or banging going on.

Just to be safe the pressuretrol should be removed and the pigtail between the boiler and the pressuretrol checked to be sure it's not blocked.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Is the boiler cycling on pressure?

Does the boiler seem to run longer at a time than normal? I have a suspicion that, as Bob suggests, the pigtail might be plugged. This would allow the pressure in the system to get higher than normal, and this could stick the gauge.

Checking the pigtail, and replacing it if necessary, is the top priority. Then check out the gauge. If the mechanism is stuck you can sometimes free it by tapping it with your finger. If that doesn't work, you need to replace the gauge. It might have fallen victim to the same sludge that fouled the pigtail.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.