Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

question for Crash

Options
Oh great Thermostat god (Cras)h, I took some data logging equipment from work and this is what my boiler profile looks like.  Any thoughts?  I'm not using any setback so it's trying to keep the temp within 1 degree.  Scale is in hours.  Looks like on time is about 5 minutes and off time is about 30 mins. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    Looks like

the thermostat is set for 2 cycles per hour.  House temp drops 1 degree then the boiler comes on.  Is the house heating OK?
  • Steve Nichols
    Steve Nichols Member Posts: 124
    Options
    here's the thing

The t-stat has no cycle/hour setting.  This is an older LuxPRo programmable and I just set the temp at 65 and changed the sample time so it doesn't check temp as often and this is how the boiler functions when it calls for heat.

I need to go around and feel all the convectors and see if they are all heating during that 5 minutes.  I"m thinking I need a longer "on cycle" to really get the best heating as it takes about 3 mins to vent the mains.  Not a lot of time left to heat the convectors.

Heat is okay but I wish those thin tube convectors didn't lose heat as quick as they do!

Honestly, the upstairs is colder than my downstairs (even after insulating attic, but probably should do more) and the Tstat should be in a different location.  I live in the room where Tstat is AND there is a 5 bulb chandelier in the room, so I guess the heat during the days I'm home is coming partly from me and the light.

I may look into how to add a remote sensor to average the temps (Honeywell Visionpro?), or just move the darn thing upstairs! 

Or, maybe going old school and messing with the anticipator like you did.

• crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    Options
    The "old school" thing

is really a pain in the neck.  Mike was helping me, and I was whining here every day, for at least a month, before I got it right.  It's set for mid winter now and thats where I left it. 

On the flipside, the people that go get the Vision pro thing, hook it up, and that's it, never hear a peep out of them, it just works.  If you search the wall for Lux, you will likely find a long history of difficulty making it work with steam. 
  • Enreynolds
    Enreynolds Member Posts: 119
    Options
    1 Vote

For the vision pro.  Thats what I am using with my minitube system.  Not a lick of problems.  Go the easy route, and spend your time and energy on something more productive.

Eric
  • Steve Nichols
    Options
    thanks guys

I appreciate the input.  I'll take a look at what I need as I may need to run a remote t-stat to keep the whole house comfortable.

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Thermostat

Steve,

You may want to consider getting either a Honeywell FocusPro or a VisionPro thermostat.

The normal CPH setting for a steam system is 1. You have a oversized boiler and convectors. A CPH setting of 2 or 3 might work very well with your system.
  • Steve Nichols
    Options
    Okay

I'll start looking at the Honeywells tomorrow...Thanks everyone!

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,709
    Options
    Honeywell

I personally use a VisionPro 8000 series with my system and love it.  I installed a 5110 for my neighbor who also has steam and they love it.

This is the 5110 with optional large display, I find its easier for most to read.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-TH5110D1022-The-FocusPRO-Large-Screen-Non-Programmable-Digital-Thermostat-Premier-White-4088000-p
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Steve Nichols
    Options
    Thanks Chris

I'll take a look at both. By the way, how are you making out with your boiler? Are you a fan of those Steammaster tablets?

• ChrisJ
    Options
    steamaster pills

I'm definitely a fan of them.  Even after the system running a fair amount the boiler water is crystal clear.  They definatly do seem to prevent rusting and I was also to see they increased my PH from under 7 up to 9.  They must be used in moderation though,  I used two even though the bottle claimed I needed 12 and 2 is plenty.  I assume 3 or 4 would have sent my PH through the roof.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Steve Nichols
    Options
    Cool

Thanks for the info.  I'll be doing some rework of the near boiler piping over the summer and will probably be looking for input/suggestions as the time draws near.  Nice big drop header in the photos of your boiler. 

• ChrisJ
    Options
    Thank you!

I'm proud of the install, however I never want to do it again if I can avoid it.  :)
This discussion has been closed.