Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting to gas

My house at the Jersey shore got flooded during Superstorm Sandy.  I had an old oil boiler and a new 80 gallon electric water heater.  I need to replace both and will be converting my heat from oil to gas.  One contractor suggested putting in a combo unit that would heat the house and heat the water.  Other contractors suggest two units --a separate gas furnace and  gas water heater.  Cost is certainly a consideration but the more important consideration is to put in the arrangement that makes the most sense.  What do you recommend and what advice can you give me?  Also, if I do go with two separate units what size gas water heater should I put in the replace the 80 gallon electric unit?

thank you 

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Heat and hot water

Stand alone water heaters are inefficient, inadequate, and need to disappear. They are an outdated, and often unsafe "technology". Your best option is a mod/con boiler with an indirect water heater. That will let you use the high 90% efficiency of the boiler to make your domestic hot water. The sizes depend on the fixtures and usage in your home.
This discussion has been closed.