Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

vents hissing, whistling

Options
gwenb
gwenb Member Posts: 4
This summer I moved into a home with a gas powered one-pipe steam system. In general the system is working, but there is a bit of hissing and whistling from some of the radiators. One radiator has a different round disk-like vent that hisses loudly for quite some time, two others just whistle lightly and briefly.

Based on the research I've done, I should start by checking my main vents. Does that sound right?

In my old house I had oil hot air. The oil company came and inspected and cleaned the furnace once a year. What kind of yearly maintenance should be done on this system?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Evaluation

It might be a good idea to bring in a steam pro. They can identify and repair things quickly, and if need be, develope a punch list for things that should be done in the future. Conditions could exist that might destroy the boiler, and you want to make sure that is not the case. If you post your area, you might get lucky and have one of the craftsman that hang out here, be close to you. The pro would also go over maintenance with you. It requires you to do simple, very important things during the heating season, beyond annual service. This is the fastest way to a safe, efficient, and comfortable relationship with your steam system.You're getting a late start for this heating season, and trial and error by a steam newbie this season will cost you more money, discomfort, and aggrevation this season.
  • gwenb
    gwenb Member Posts: 4
    Options
    steam maintenance

Yes, I'd like to find a good steam pro. I'm in Cambridge, MA.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited November 2012
    Options
    You

might want to try the Find a Contractor page, and even if the contractor is not comfortable with steam, they may be able to refer you to the best around.You'd think that given the age of some of the buildings in your area, there would be a lot of steam pros.
This discussion has been closed.