Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Calculating radiator EDR

Options
VickiS
VickiS Member Posts: 51
I'm pretty sure I was able to calculate the EDR's for most of the radiators in my house but I'm stumped on the ones in the pictures I've provided.  Any thoughts on where I can find the specs for these?  I did see them on the sizing chart that Rod had posted.  Thanks!

1st pic is 14 columns, 19" high.  I have no idea how wide it is as it's build into the wall.

2nd pic is 10 columns, ~23" high and 7" wide.

3rd pic is 24 columns, 19" high.  I have no idea how wide this one is either.

4th pic is ? columns, ~9 1.2" wide and ~12" high.

5th pic is 16 columns, 3" wide, ~34 1/2" high and appears to only have one tube?

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    EDR

The first three are American Standard Sunrads. They came in two types: with or without legs, and two sizes: 23" x 7 1/2" and 20" x 5" (height x depth). The first and third both have legs. I can't tell with the second.

The first one has 14 sections, so if it's 20" tall, the EDR is 31.5 ft.².

The second one has 10 sections, so if it's 23" tall, the EDR is 34.0 ft.².

The third one has 24 sections, so if it's 20" tall, the EDR is 54.0 ft.².

Since #1 and #3 are recessed, you need to adjust for that. #1 appears to have the recommeded air spaces to allow circulation, so you only need to subtract 5%. #3 looks like a tight fit, so you subtract 15%. This leaves you with 29.9 ft.² and 45.9 ft.², respectively.

The fourth picture is an American Standard "ARCO" cast-iron convector. I would need to know the length and height of the enclosure.

That last one... I know I've seen it before, but I can't remember who made them. I'll get back to you if I can remember before somebody beats me to it.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • VickiS
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Dimensions

Thanks!

The dimensions for the enclosure are 50" (l) x 30" (h) x 17.5" (w).  The enclosure is curved when going from back bottom to top front so it doesn't make a rectangle if that makes any difference.

I think that last radiator  was made by A.A Griffing Iron Co.  (That's stamped on the base of the radiator but was against the wall so I didn't notice it originally).

Vicki
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    The closest thing I can find

to those dimensions for the convector are 32" x 48", which would make the EDR 75.6 ft.², but if this isn't an original enclosure, all bets are off, unless you can find a 3-digit unit number somewhere on the convector. It would start with a 9.

I'm also having trouble finding ratings for Griffing (or A. A. Griffing) radiators. About all I can tell you is that it is very old. A. A. Griffing Iron Co. made the first cast-iron loop radiator for hot water. I'm not sure what it looked like, but the description sounds similar to this, so I'm not sure that this is even a steam radiator. How does it work?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited November 2012
    Options
    A.A. Griffing

pp.21-22 of http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc2.ark:/13960/t8sb3zp65;seq=26;view=1up;num=22 show variants for hot water and steam, both with standard and enlarged loops.  {Thanks to UC Berkeley and my friends at the Internet Archive.}

pp. 20, 21, and 24 here http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b3148573;seq=25;view=1up;num=21 have different measurements.
  • VickiS
    Options
    Interesting

Thanks Hap and SWEI.

With this house, anything is possible, Hap.  ;)  I'll see if I can get a number off the convector.

The Giffing one has me baffled.  I'm pretty sure I didn't mismeasure by 4 inches on this radiator...and I have 3 of them in the house so I would have had to have done that 3 times.  It looks like it's measuring to the hot water height instead of the steam height.  Could it have been retrofitted somehow?  Only one of the 3 is currently turned on at that the moment and it's very noisy (we are renovating the floor where the other two are).  Lots of hissing...but it seems to work just like the others in the house do.

Vicki 
This discussion has been closed.