Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

fixing oversize boiler problem

Options
I have a WM EG-45 that's oversized. It's always shutting down on pressure instead of by thermostat, every two minutes or so, although house heats fine. 

Would that eventually wear out the gas control valve, constantly turning on and off, or is that worry for nothing? I had a vaporstat installed to minimize inefficiency.

Looking at the boiler label, I see the main physical difference between EG-40 and 45 seems to be the number of burners. Everything else seems to be the same.

Am I correct, or are other things different as well?

I wouldn't do this myself, of course, but I'm looking for info so I can speak with a heating tech and at least seem to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Short-cycling

Does the short-cycling start at the beginning of the cycle, or just after all the air has left the system? What sort of main vents do you have on the returns?

Talk to the technical support about down-firing the boiler. They will want to know how oversized the boiler is.--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,727
    Options
    EG40 vs EG45

Last year when I bought my EG-45 I had considred the 40 so looked very closely at what I could find as far as differences in case I had to drop it down to a 40.  From what I recall the EG-45 has one more burner tube and a slightly different draft hood.

I believe everything else was identical.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    Different firing rate

Of course, there is a difference in the firing rate in the amount of 25,000 btu, and therefore a difference in the output and capacity, etc.  Aparently this also causes a need for a slightly different draft hood, but the numbers of sections etc. are the same as has already been mentioned.

With this in mind, it would seem logical that the firing rate on the EG45 could be reduced to that of the EG40 without any loss in efficiency.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.