Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulator sizing

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,107
I have a customer with home 3 stories high(aprox 30 ft high). Home is 34' x 19'. The entire home is served by one forced hot water loop. The supply and return are 1 1/4". There is aprox 125 mbtu going through the loop. What would be an appropriate circulator for this situation? Thank you

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    rad takeoffs

I cant see what is doing with take offs but I am assuming that this is a monoflow system. House is aprox 50 years old.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    head

How do you figure head when the main is 1 1/4 and the radiator takeoffs are 3/4" or 1". This is a divertor T system.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited November 2012
    circulator

simple sizing is : head=(30+34+19)x2*0.06=9.96 feed of head

on 20F delta t one gallon per minute delivers 10,000 btuhr, 125000/10000= 12.5 gpm

if you take chart on the pump, lets say like this one http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/101-084.pdf and find point corresponding to those numbers, the closest curve to the right will be your pump

you can check this one out http://s3.pexsupply.com/manuals/1350570919940/83616_PROD_FILE.pdf
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Basic Formula Head

Longest run from the outlet of the circulation through the system back to the inlet

Side if the circulator x 1.5 x .04 = head

100' x 1.5 x .04 = 6' head

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Circulators:

Box of stale donuts says that a 007 would work fine. Or a Wilo Star 21 three speed on #2.
  • gennady
    edited November 2012
    my box of donuts

my box of donuts after looking at the chart said taco 0014.

007 1t 12.5 gpm will max only 6.5 feet head. unless radiators over sized, and delta T 40F 008 might work.

Just my opinion
  • gennady
    head

Chris , 30+34+19 is max run =85 supply and 85 return, total run 170 feet
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited November 2012
    Based On

the limited amount of info the original poster is giving i would agree on the run length.

170 x 1.5 x.04 = 10.2' head

Needs a pump that will do 12.5gpm @11' head. I like to round up.. Grundy 26-99 3-speed would be my choice.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited November 2012
    load

125,000 BTU/hr actually going through the loop, or going into the gas valve at max firing rate?  Was a heat loss calc done?
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    26-99F

I like the Grundfos pumps the best.

BUT - If you are going to use a wet rotor pump make D** sure to put a 100 mesh strainer in front of it on that old system.
  • gennady
    DIRTMAG

for wet rotor pumps we started to offer this http://www.caleffi.us/en_US/Technical_brochures/01137/01137.pdf instead of the regular strainer.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Dirtmag

That will seperate dirt but stuf can get through it on and if it gets into the wetrotor pump it won't do the pump any good.
  • gennady
    magnet

It has a magnet attached to it, and magnet stops all the magnetic rust particles. Periodically magnet is removed and dirtmag is flushed trough bottom valve. It prevents magnetic rust going to wet rotor and sticking there. Dirtmag is designed with specific purpose to protect wet rotor circulators working in magnetic metal systems
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Wet rotor pumps

I have seen a lot of non magnetic stuff in the impellar of the wet rotor pumps. Throws them off balance and that imbalance tends to destroy the impellar.
  • gennady
    dirtmag

It has a strainer part as well
This discussion has been closed.