Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam trap repair kits

Options
Just had a new gas fired steam boiler replaced with a gas fired burnham. We are being advised to have Barnes and Jones #1950 steam trap reapir kits installed on all 11 readiators (since most ofthe traps are "probably" not functioning well and rather than figure out which work and which don't , we should replace them all in one swoop). QUESTION-are there any disadvantages (besides price) in using a repair kit? Do they hold up?

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    the barnes and jones 1950 is the kit for

Dunham traps..normally i would agree that what the installer says is correct, but just keep this in mind, that the Dunham trap is probably one of if not the most tough trap ever made. I have gone into many mansions with Dunham systems and used thermography to do the steam trap testing, (thinking i'll get to replace a decent amount of traps since they are all 80 years old) and low and behold, i'll find maybe one bad trap..Dunham traps are the sherman tank of steam traps. But you have to test to find out.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

This discussion has been closed.