Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Emergency Generator won't run Lennox Heater

TrkSupv
TrkSupv Member Posts: 1
After Sandy struck and my power went out, ran my home on a 6000 watt portable generator. No problems except the Lennox gas heater, model G61MP-48C-090, would not run. Had the technician look at it and he advised dirty power problems with the generator. Unit started ok when the commercial power resumed, so think the dirty power is the likely culprit.

Is this a problem that all hi-efficiency Lennox heaters have with portable generators? Are there any solutions that lennox offers, i.e. board upgrades or mods?

Are there any standby or portable generator units that produce a clean regulated sine wave output and can handle both the house appliance loads and this heater together?

Appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Comments

• A lot of people having generator problems

And 4 with lennox.

This is an area the manufacturers could address, with their electronics!--NBC
  • murph50
    murph50 Member Posts: 4
    it's always something

ran into this w/nursing home system after burner had been modernized from fireye circa 1960's, to honeywell 7800 series controller. generator rep advised how to adjust a setpoint on their unit to achieve proper output, most importantly 60~, for electronic equipment. have also seen add-on devices that "clean" generator output to correct this situation. surely generator oem can point you in right direction.

good luck,

murph 50
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
    All furnaces

and boilers today use "flame rectification" to sense flame. This requires a clean A/C source. Some have been lucky their generators have run their furnaces, others no. This isn't a Lennox thing, it's the entire industry. 
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Yes

A Honda Inverter will produce electricity as clean or cleaner than line.
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    If your looking to run your entire house

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu6500is
  • iz
    iz Member Posts: 10
    inverter type generator

You want to get an inverter type generator.  This type of generator puts out a clean source of electricity unlike AC alternator type which is likely what you have.  The inverter type generators run at premium prices because they product clean electric via an inverter. 

I too lost power during Sandy (for 8 days).  I have a Generac iX2000 which powers my Viessmann Vitodens 200 boiler, frige, TV, DVD player and some lights without issue.  I paid about $580 for a 2000 watt generator though.  Honda will run you close to double for that size.  The Honda is worth the investment if you can afford it in my opinion.  Also for the Honda it has an option for a paralleling two generators together (companion option) so that if you decide you want more power at some point but dont want to buy one larger unit you can do so.  This has obvious down side as well as its two generators with twice the maintenance.

Another option would be to buy a power line conditioner.  These are commonly used to protect high quality/price audio/video equipment from dirty power from the grid.  A good one will run you $225 at best buy.  Find someone who knows what they are talking about regarding these items (most likely not someone at Best Buy) to ask them more questions.  Personally, I went with the inverter generator because the 2000 watts (which I could afford) ran what I needed it to run (not the entire house which you could get close to with a 6000 watt generator....obviously not running everything at once).

Hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.