Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connecting Portable Generator to Steam Heating System

LKLK
LKLK Member Posts: 4
We are without power, and I have a portable generator that I would like to connect to my steam heating system (which runs on natural gas).  I think the only electricity it needs are the switch that receives the signal from the thermostat, and the automatic low water filler (but I could be wrong on this, and I'm sure I am not naming these parts correcting).

Questions:  1) Is there a way to retrofit those two parts so that I can attach a power cord from the generator to them?  2) What are the names of the parts I would need to do this?  3)  How many hours of an electrician's time should this take?

I know that the best way to do this is to move the breakers that run the heating system to a new box, and then connect the generator that way -- but I would like to avoid doing that for now.  I am assuming that by adding some type of adapter to each of the 2 areas  of the heating system that require power and then connecting cords from the generator to those adapters, I should able to get the heat going more easily and for a lot less money.

Thanks for your help.  Me and my cold kids appreciate it.

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 2,107
    boiler

Was there boiler under any water? If it was then you need a new boiler. If not then please do your family a favor and hire a real professional. I have heard stories already about incompetent "workers" creating life threatening situations with improper hookups.
  • LKLK

No, boiler was not under water.

Are you able to answer the other parts of my question?  Thanks.
  • LKLK

No, boiler was not under water.

Are you able to answer the other parts of my question?  Thanks.
  • temporary power

when the electrician does this, try to find the installation manual or download a wiring diagram for your boiler, so he can avoid any misconnections.

many installers have an electrician do their final wiring for them, so the cost of what you want to do is difficult to predict. see if there is a manual fill valve in connection with your auto-fill, so that the auto-fill could be shut off during use with the generator.

many boiler controls are very finicky about the cleanliness of the electric power they use, so don't be surprised to have some unintended consequences, such as not firing properly.

test the lwco's ability to shut off the burner after any modifications.--nbc
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Connecting Generators:

If you asked "me" questions on how to hook it up, and you asked if the way you wanted to wire it and it was OK, I would tell you if you could do that, or another way. But, you have no idea on how to do it correctly and safely. I wouldn't personally help in a situation that could hurt potentially hurt you and anyone else. There's implied risk and liability on anyone who advises you and you do it wrong.

Call an electrician. It's really very simple.
This discussion has been closed.