Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Connecting Portable Generator to Steam Heating System

LKLK
LKLK Member Posts: 4
We are without power, and I have a portable generator that I would like to connect to my steam heating system (which runs on natural gas).  I think the only electricity it needs are the switch that receives the signal from the thermostat, and the automatic low water filler (but I could be wrong on this, and I'm sure I am not naming these parts correcting).

Questions:  1) Is there a way to retrofit those two parts so that I can attach a power cord from the generator to them?  2) What are the names of the parts I would need to do this?  3)  How many hours of an electrician's time should this take?

I know that the best way to do this is to move the breakers that run the heating system to a new box, and then connect the generator that way -- but I would like to avoid doing that for now.  I am assuming that by adding some type of adapter to each of the 2 areas  of the heating system that require power and then connecting cords from the generator to those adapters, I should able to get the heat going more easily and for a lot less money.

Thanks for your help.  Me and my cold kids appreciate it.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    without seeing the existing conditions

it's really impossible to estimate the work effort required.  Disclaimer done.

Assuming both are fed from a single J-box, a competent electrician should be able to install an outlet and pigtail with a plug in about an hour.  This assumes that a plug-connected boiler does not violate any of the applicable codes.
This discussion has been closed.