Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

TOO MUCH PRESSURE!!

Romeo
Romeo Member Posts: 1
I have a old Utica boiler that serves domestic hot water and heat. Last summer I installed a ball valve on hot water side to stop the hot water flow,and conserve on fuel oil in the warmer month's.I also installed a electric water heater and configured the plumbing so that if the electric unit would fail I could turn the right valves & restore the domestic hot water on the boiler.

We are now in the cold season and I tried to fire up the boiler. My boiler lit right up and operated fine,except the PRV (pressure relief valve) was spurting water I also noticed that the boiler has too much pressure.I installed a new PRV and I also changed out the Expansion Tank because the diaphragm in it had collapsed.I have tried to bleed the system of air, but to no avail the boiler still gain's too much pressure.

Can anybody give me some more pointer's or help?,with this crappy economy I can't afford to hire a serviceman.

Comments

• Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    edited November 2012
    First thing...

Switch from coffee to chamomile tea. :-)

Secondly, post pictures of your near-boiler piping from revealing angles.

Thirdly, how's the pressure when the boiler is NOT firing?

Edit: Fourthly, hiring a competent heating technician is not a luxury. I hope I don't come across as preachy, but if there is some other budget item to squeeze on that does not impact the safety and comfort of your family as much, that should be under the knife before this. The heating pros who are helping you here for free are dealing with the same economy that you are.
  • Romeo1
    Romeo1 Member Posts: 2
    re: first thing

The boiler pressure when not running is around 30 psi,when running it go's to 38 to 40 psi and the PRV kick's water.

I know that is way to high,also I know that "not running" should be around 12 to 20 psi, that's what it was before I did any work last year.

I know I should have a certified tech., unfourtunatly for me I do know my way around the concept of the system.

I am a Journyman electrician and have worked on alot of HVAC systems mostly on forced hot air and nat. gas systems. Also I am very well trained on control's.

I do alot of my work in my own home,and I appreciate your concern.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Pressure to high

You may have a leak in the domestic water coil in your boiler. Try closing the valves you installed to isolate the coil from the boiler and see if the problem desists. If not, check your PRV valve.

Rob
  • Romeo1
    Romeo1 Member Posts: 2
    re: Rob G "pressure too high"

I done that and it still remains the same,I've even tried to restore the domestic hot water and eliminate the electric heater and ,still remains the same.

A friend has mentioned that I mat have a leak in the hot water side of the boiler coil,this is where I do not have any knowledge. Can you help with any of this?

I have 2 more question's,maybe you can help me out.

#1 Now that I am using Electric hot water,Can I close the Mixing valve?

#2 Also should I change the HI-LOW-DIFF setting's on the aquastst-controller?
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Shut

the supply water off and bleed the pressure down to about 15psi. If the pressure climbs back up, you have a leak in the domestic coil. Setting up a bypass for the domestic coil is always a good idea, but there has to be a boiler drain for the coil, so it can be drained and left open to the atmosphere, or it becomes a pressure vessel and will burst.
This discussion has been closed.